Continuous Professional Development (CPD)
Why the need for CPD?
Healthcare practitioners have a responsibility to continually update their professional knowledge and skills for the end benefit of the patient or client. To this end the HPCSA has implemented a Continuing Professional Development programme. Every practitioner is required to accumulate 30 Continuing Education Units (CEUs) per twelve-month period and five of the units must be on ethics, human rights and medical law (Registered BAA practitioners need to meet half this requirement). Each CEU will be valid for 24 months from the date on which the activity took place (or ended, in the event of post-graduate studies) after which it would lapse. This means that practitioners should aim to accumulate a balance of 60 CEUs by the end of their second year of practice, and thereafter top-up the balance through additional CPD as each 24 –month validity period expires.
Source HPCSA: http://www.hpcsa.co.za/cpd
Do you meet the above requirements?
Mandatory random audits are conducted to ensure compliancy. Once a practitioner’s name has been selected, they are required to submit a CPD portfolio to the HPCSA within 21 days. Non-compliant practitioners will be given six months in order to comply. After the period of 6 months a practitioner will again be audited and if there is still non-compliance, the Professional Board will consider appropriate action, normally scrapping from the roll.
Online CPD Courses
We have relaunched our online CPD platform to meet the requests from practitioners that can not attend physical CPD sessions.
Why do your CPD Training with BLS Medical?
- Accredited Service Provider. BLS Medical has been accredited by the HPCSA to offer CPD since 2010; we know the needs and requirements of healthcare professionals working in the pre-hospital environment.
- Affordability. We offer the best rates possible for the CEUs that you require to meet the HPCSA’s CPD requirements.
- Flexibility. You can do the programme(s) when it suits you and you have free time (between calls, late at night, whenever) you have the choice of the time.
- Mobility. As long as you have an internet connection and a browser on any device such as a computer, phone, tablet or smart TV; courses are configured to all types of devices.
- Current. We are continuously adding to our selection of Subjects and Topics and will be updating these on a regular basis, to ensure that you remain properly informed of changes in the healthcare industry. We have a number of courses and programmes that have been awarded CEUs on both Level 1 & 2.
DO NOT WAIT BUT ACT NOW AND START YOUR CPD COURSES WITH BLS MEDICAL!
To be able to take a CPD Course you can either purchasing each course individually or you can pay for pre-paid credits that can be used to purchase and view courses.
We have three packages available:
Basic Credit Package
This package is aimed at the BLS practitioner (Basic Ambulance Assistant), so that you can start working towards CPD Requirements, this will be enough credits for 1 years of required CPD Points.
Number of Credits: 40
Cost: R 375.00
Premium Credit Package
This premium package is aimed at the ILS and ALS Practitioner to ensure that you have enough credits to meet your minimum CPD requirements for 1 year or for the BAA for 2 years.
Number of Credits: 75
Cost: R 650.00
Premium Plus Credit Package
This is the ULTIMATE and best value for money package that is aimed at the ILS and ALS Practitioner to ensure that you have enough credits to meet your minimum CPD for 2 years.
Number of Credits: 150
Cost: R 1200.00
Payments will be processed through our online payment gateway.
Payfast accepts various payment methods such Instant EFT (Use your Cheque/ Debit Card to pay), Credit Card (Master and VISA), and Mobicred
Using one of the above will immediately process purchased membership and give you instant access to the CPD Topics.
All transactions are secure and private with BLS Medical never receiving your debit or credit card details.
All payments will show as BLS Medical cc on your bank statement.